Today whilst working, I had this website playing in the background:
Soothing music with tranquilizing flowing backgrounds; oh, and in the foreground you can watch the Rouble plunge to terriying new lows. All in real time!
In case you haven't heard, the Russian rouble has been free-falling for the last couple of weeks, losing half its value since September 1st. An insane last minute interest rate hike to 17% by the Russian central bank hasn't even managed to stabilise it - it has dropped another USD$10 in just half a day.
Whilst this is terrible news for the Russian economy, this crisis (and I feel a bit bad about saying this) makes it actually a pretty good time to be a tourist in Russia. A three course meal in Moscow (one of the most expensive cities in Europe, but arguably not that bad compared to Perth) cost around \$27-\$41 three months ago.
As of today, that's now \$15-\$23.
So, uh, I guess in hindsight we made a pretty good decision (at least for our bank accounts) to head to Russia and Siberia this winter?
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure