I'm not really sure how it happened, but at some point reminiscing over Hanukkah (this is the second year in a row I've been away from home during Hanukkah) turned into a fully fledged plan to make latkes, find jam donuts, and somehow construct a Hanukiah.
As you can imagine, this was a pretty big mission for somewhere like Okinawa (specifically, central Okinawa) - Google searches returned nothing but Facebook posts from Kadena airbase lamenting the lack of instant latke mix and the horrible variety of kosher meat available from the base commissary.
Giving up on the jam donuts (read: we couldn't find a syringe in order to, uh, make jam donuts - I'm still shocked they were so impossible to find, I thought they were some sort of worldwide staple?), we decided to improvise.
About to roll the moisture out of the grated potato using a 100 Yen towel from Daiso
Adding more oil, just for good measure
Unfortunately we later found out upon eating the Hanukiah (that's not sacrilegious, is it?) that it was more like a butter cake - it wasn't even deep fried in oil!
Butter counts, right? Maybe it was the miracle of oil and butter.
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure