The longest bridge on an open road in Japan, connecting Kouri Island and Yagaji Island - Okinawa2go
Not sure where to go after the aquarium, and having the rental car until 7pm that night, we studiously studied the map given to us.
'We're pretty close to Okinawa Ostrich Show Land,' pondered Tania.
My mind swirled with possibilities; based on its name alone, this place had the potential to even eclipse Pineapple Park.
'I looked it up the other day, it's not actually that great. They have ostriches and turkeys, and a restaurant that serves ostrich meat and eggs.'
'Oh you can also go for Ostrich rides.'
'OKAY NOW WE HAVE TO GO.'
Before you get your hopes up - unfortunately I was on the losing side of that argument - a little while later we decided upon the much more sensible (sigh) plan of driving to Kourijima (Kouri Island), to explore some of Okinawa's coastline and walk along the longest open-road bridge in Japan.
Crossing the bridge to enter Kourijima
And it was well worth it (although on the other hand, How do you compete with ostrich riding). It seems the further north we go on Okinawa-honto, the more picturesque it becomes.
Soba restaurant by the beach - note the Okinawan staples of pig and sweet potato
Okinawan salt cookie flavour in a waffle cone. Although Tania swore it was just plain vanilla.
At the entrance to the beach - yep, you guessed it, another pig
The beach on Kourijima. I couldn't get over how emerald looking the water was.
Finishing my ice-cream and suppressing the urge to photograph EVERYTHING
Looking across to Yagachi Island
Walking to Yagachi
Walking to Yagachi, Tania edition
We made it! (Disclaimer: sort of. I stopped halfway to get the car.)
So all in all, it was a pretty fun day. Below you can see a map of the route we ended up doing.
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure