After exploring the aquarium and Kourijima earlier that day, we were invited to the 30th birthday party of Jérémie, one of the post-docs in Thomas Busch's group. The main event everyone was looking forward to was the whole roast pig Jérémie had ordered, from a local Okinawan butcher down in Naha.
Well, I was only spectating, but it would make for an interesting sight nonetheless.
We had only just arrived back at OIST around 6pm, and were instantly greeted by the sight of Jérémie anxiously pacing back and forth in the carpark, awaiting his pig delivery.
And it was quite the sight to behold. Especially since Tania had suggested making it his birthday cake, with candles atop. Singing happy birthday, with the lights off, flames flickering above a whole roast pig, was certainly somewhat surreal.
Lighting the candles
Carving the 'cake'
But the night was about to get even stranger. Because not soon after, the Spongebob party entertainer that Tara had ordered as a surprise present arrived.
SPONGEBOB MUSICAL CHAIRS
Everyone came for the pig, but Spongebob miraculously managed to steal the show.
Prof. Thomas Busch getting in on some Spongebob selfie action
Turns out we couldn't resist either
Tara: 'Wait, where are our interns?' Angela: 'Over there!'
Team Busch group photo with new honorary member Spongebob
It was certainly a one-of-a-kind birthday party (imagine trying to top it next year).
Happy birthday again, Jérémie!
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure