Some time last week, a routine visit by Thomas to our office deviated slightly from discussion of our projects to where we can get an authentic Okinawan breakfast (a topic brought on by our recent escapade to Jakkapoes pancakes.)
Whilst we didn't learn much in terms of Okinawan breakfast custom ("Okinawan breakfast? Hmm, I'm not sure if breakfast is really a thing here. Although, the Kafuu Beach Resort does a wonderful breakfast buffet!"), a local burger shop was mentioned, known for it's delightfully healthy sounding Heart Attack Murder Burger™ (or HAMB).
Sold on the name alone, Michael and I made the trek down to Burger Shop H&S (aka Healthy & Smiles!) to engage in battle with this formidable sounding foe.
A nice little shack
So unassuming compared to what lies within
I present to you: the Burger Shop Healthy & Smiles Heart Attack Murder Burger. It was beautiful.
And formidable it was; we spent our time sizing it up, working out the best attack strategy. Eventually Michael opted for a knife and fork as his weapons, a wise move. For my sense of pride was too strong, and, determined to treat this monstrosity like the burger it was, I opted to use my hands and attempted to unhinge my jaw to grotesque angles.
Michael assessing the situation
It suffices to say this did not go as smoothly as anticipated, and I continued my attack from here on in with ample cutlery reserves.
Unfortunately we came nowhere near finishing the HAMB within the four minute competition limit, but I'd say we did a pretty good job (Michael finished in about 8 minutes, compared to maybe 15 minutes for me).
And as much as we'd like to think we defeated the Heart Attack Murder Burger, the truth is, it probably won in the long run. After waddling back to OIST, I didn't end up eating again until lunch time the next day.
So, hey, at least I got my moneys worth?
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure