Recently, OIST and the University of Tokyo signed a a memorandum of understanding, resulting in a set of informal seminars between eminent UoT scientists and their OIST counterparts. This actually took place over Friday and Saturday, and whilst I initially mourned the loss of a weekend sleep in (The morning session starts at 9!?), the physics related lectures were pretty enjoyable.
Unfortunately I missed out on the biology lectures, as they commenced at 9am on Friday (and I needed to make up somehow for my early start on Saturday), and the chemistry lectures took place whilst we were on our way to Cape Hedo, so that was also a shame.
Although it might not have made much of a difference if I had made it, judging by Angela's response later:
"Unfortunately I didn't understand a word of the lectures."
"Oh, were they in Japanese?"
"No, they were in biology!"
The program for the event
The talks I ended up going to were:
Beauty of Symmetry and Symmetry Breaking by Hiroaki Aihara (after discussing his multi-million dollar high energy physics experiment, one of the questions was 'is that a bit of a waste of money?' 'I hope not, since we've already started!' he replied)
Light-Matter Interactions Research at OIST by Síle Nic Chormaic, an interesting insight into experimental physics at OIST
Information, thermodynamics, and Maxwell's demon by Masahito Ueda (I really enjoyed this talk)
Controlling and Engineering Quantum Systems by Thomas Busch (unfortunately though the Spongebob group photo didn't make it into the slides)
All in all, it was a nice break from the occasional monotony of office work.
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure