I had bought a bus ticket leaving Takayama the next day at lunch time, heading directly to Kanazawa. Well, sort of - I decided to make a brief stop (about an hour) in Shirakawa-go, a UNESCO World Heritage Site village comprised of centuries old gasshō-zukuri style houses. Remember the Hida-no-sato outdoor folk museum? Well, this is the (living) village that those houses were taken from.
Unfortunately, I spent a majority of my time crossing a suspension bridge across the river dividing the village.
It was such a picturesque village - essentially Hida-no-sato brought to life.
And as it is a living village, of course there is no entry fee - filling the park with numerous Japanese visitors enjoying the scenery, walking their dogs, or building snowmen with their family.
But that suspension bridge, oh god. Located right in the middle of the Japanese Alps, it was no surprise that it was cold, and it was covered in a layer of ice maybe 10 cm thick. Everyone was reduced to slowly sliding their feet across it, leading to an almost 20 minute passage.
This for a bridge that would take maybe 1 minute to walk across in summer!
- May January
- Mon 29 December 2014Temples, shrines, and Irish pubs (oops)
- Sun 28 December 2014Temple run and too much sake
- Fri 26 December 2014Hiroshima
- Wed 24 December 2014Things I've noticed since coming to regular Japan
- Mon 22 December 2014Last day in Okinawa
- Mon 22 December 2014A very Okinawan Hanukkah
- Sun 21 December 2014Onna Industrial Festival
- Sun 21 December 2014Last week at OIST
- Tue 16 December 2014A surprisingly good time to go to Russia
- Mon 15 December 2014Cape Hedo and Hiji Falls
- Mon 15 December 2014Vires Acquirit Eundo
- Mon 15 December 2014Chicken skin (and other assorted delights)
- Sun 14 December 2014Bread 1.0
- Sun 14 December 2014More things I've noticed since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 09 December 2014The Heart Attack Murder Burger
- Tue 09 December 2014Spongebob and the birthday pig
- Mon 08 December 2014Kourijima
- Mon 08 December 2014Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
- Sun 07 December 2014Americana teppanyaki
- Sun 07 December 2014Searching for yeast on a Friday night
- Mon 01 December 2014Pineapple Park
- Sun 30 November 2014Castles, pancakes, Naha and more
- Fri 28 November 2014Attempted drive to Ishikawa
- Thu 27 November 2014Walk through Tancha
- Tue 25 November 2014Things I've discovered since arriving in Okinawa
- Tue 25 November 2014Settling in at OIST
- Mon 24 November 2014Accidental business class
- Sun 23 November 2014Delayed in Hong Kong
- Sun 16 November 2014A Siberian adventure